Humorous or insightful thoughts to help start the New Year
As regular readers know, about once a quarter or so, this site provides a short list of quotes that I find really good, worthy of sharing. Some are profound, some are funny, some are both.
Herewith, the latest offerings to help launch your New Year. A baker’s dozen for your edification and reflection. Enjoy!
- “In our democracy, we govern either by leadership or by crisis. If leadership is willing to take the risks that come with the responsibility of power, we can avoid crisis. If not, we will inevitably govern by crisis.” —Leon Panetta
- “Good things are worth searching for. Search on.”— Google
- Theodore Roosevelt once said of a successor, “He means well, but he means well feebly.”
- “I’m not asking you to believe what I tell you; I’m asking you to think about it.“– Nancy Pelosi
- Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first. —Charles de Gaulle
- “It’s hard to listen while you are preaching.” — U2
- “Whoever is winning at the moment will always seem to be invincible.”— George Orwell
- “While the early bird might get the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese.”- Unknown
- “Writing with a really nice pen is like watching a movie in 4K for the first time: it’s still the same thing you’ve done a million times, but it’s better in every conceivable way and you wonder how you got by before.” —Tim Herrera, NYT
- “No matter how cynical you become, it’s never enough to keep up.” — Lily Tomlin
- “In stark contrast to the violent ways settlers treated the land, the Indians walk softly and hurt the landscape hardly more than the birds and squirrels” — John Muir
- “Be a nuisance when it counts. Do your part to inform and stimulate the public to join your action. Be depressed, discouraged, & disappointed at failure & the disheartening effects of ignorance, greed, corruption & bad politics — but never give up.”
—Marjory Stoneman Douglas; environmentalist, journalist and activist for whom the school in Parkland, FL that suffered the terrible mass killing is named.
- ” Some days, the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.” ―Anonymous
As always, it is fun to share. Which one(s) of these did you like best? Got one or a few you would like to share? Let’s do it!
If you find this blog worthy of your time and curiosity, I invite you to do two things:
(1) Join the conversation. Your voice counts here.
(2) Share the word about this post with friends and colleagues. Share a link in your emails and social media posts. Let’s grow our circle.